DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Little Casterton

LITTLE CASTERTON is a village and parish, on the south bank of the river Gwash, 1¼ miles west from Ryhall station on the Stamford and Essendine branch of the London and North Eastern railway, 11½ east-by-south from Oakham and 2¼ north-west from Stamford, in the hundred of East, Stamford union and county court district, rural deanery of Rutland (second portion), archdeaconry of Oakham and diocese of Peterborough. The church of All Saints is a small Norman and Early English building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a western turret, containing 2 bells : in the chancel is a brass to Sir Thomas Burton, of Tolthorpe, and his wife, dated 1381, and in the south aisle an interesting Early English arched tomb: there are two stained memorial windows, one a large east window, erected in 1910 to Hubert Eaton esq. of Tolethorpe Hall, and the other, a west window, erected in 1923 to J. G. Eaton, his son: the church was repaired in 1844 and restored and reseated in 1908, and has 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a rectory, with the chapelry of Tolthorpe annexed, joint net value yearly £195, with residence, and including 3 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lord Chesham, and held since 1912 by the Rev. Frederick Trench Johnson M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin and rural dean of Rutland (second portion). There is a Wesleyan chapel near the village of Great Casterton. Charles E.T. Eaton esq. who is lord of the manor, and Messrs. Thomas Watson Smeeth and F.W. Williamson. are the principal landowners. The soil is in parts heavy and in others light; subsoil, freestone. The chief crops are barley, wheat, oats, beans, roots and pasture land. The area is 1,220 acres of land and 7 of water ; the population in 1921 was 179.

Letters through Stamford

TOLETHORPE (or Tolthorpe) is a hamlet and chapelry, in the parish of Little Casterton, half a mile north-east. Tolethorpe Hall, the seat of J. Burnaby-Atkins esq. is a curious mansion of stone of the 14th century, and has been enlarged; it stands on a height, overlooking the river Gwash, and near it is a chalybeate spring, said to possess properties similar to the waters of Tunbridge Wells. On the river Gwash is a small water-mill.

Parish Clerk, Stanley Ladell.

(For T N's see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Burnaby-Atkins J. Tolethorpe hall
Johnson Rev. Frederick Trench M.A. [rector & rural dean of Rutland], Rectory
Lane Mrs. Rose cottage
Smeeth Thomas Watson
Whitaker George Hulstead B.A., A.M.I.C.E. Tolethorpe cottage

Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over.
Andrew Jn. Frith farm
Bagworth William, beer retailer
Fawkes H. gardener to J. Burnaby-Atkins esq
°Hinch Arthur, farmer, Hall farm
Lamb George Arthur, farmer (letters
through Great Casterton)
Sharpe William H. farmer. North Fields
Smeeth Thomas Watson, farmer

Transcribed from Kelly's Directory of Leicestershire and Rutland, 1928