DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo


EXTON (anciently called Exentune) is a large parish and township, 5 miles east-north-east from Oakham station on the Midland section of the London, Midland and Scottish railway, 8 north-west from Stamford and 107½ from London, in the hundred of Alstoe, union and county court district of Oakham, rural deanery of Rutland (second portion), archdeaconry of Oakham and diocese of Peterborough. The church of SS. Peter and Paul is an edifice of stone in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave with clerestory, small transepts, aisles, south porch and a western tower with lofty spire, containing 6 bells: the construction of the upper part of the tower is singular and unusual, since its battlemented parapet, with large embattled octagonal turrets at the angles, rises out of the lower stage of a broach spire, which in turn supports an octagonal embattled lantern, and from this springs the remainder of the spire, relieved by two tiers of dormers: on the north side of the chancel is a monument to Sir James Harington kt. ob. 1591, and on the south side others to Baptist, 4th Earl of Gainsborough, d. 21 March, 1750-1, Elizabeth (Chapman), his wife, and Thomas Noel esq. her second husband, d. 1790 : in the north transept is a monument to Baptist, 2nd Baron Noel and 3rd Viscount Campden. ob. at Exton, 29 Oct. 1863 : in the tower are memorials to Anne (Chichester), ob. 1627, first wife of Thomas, Baron Bruce of Kinloss and Earl of Elgin, and to Sir John Harington kt. of Exton, treasurer of the army of Henry VIII. at Boulogne, and Elizabeth (Moton), his wife; and one in the north aisle to Lieut.-Gen. Noel, 1766; the east window is a memorial to Charles Noel, 1st Earl of Gainsborough, of the second creation, d. 10 June, 1866; that within the tower being to the memory of the Hon. and Rev. Leland Noel M.A. hon. canon of Peterborough and vicar of Exton, d. 10 Nov. 1870; there are other stained windows: the church was restored in 1853 and the interior reseated: a new organ has been provided at a cost of £330: there are 345 sittings. The register dates from the year 1597. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £215, with residence, and including 255 acres of glebe, in the gift of the trustees of the Earl of Gainsborough, who are also the impropriators, and held since 1925 by the Rev. Alexander Nahum Carp, of Durham University. There is a Roman Catholic Church, opened in 1868, and dedicated to St. Thomas of Canterbury; it was built by Charles George, 2nd Earl of Gainsborough, and adjoins the Hall, with which there is communication. There is also a Wesleyan chapel. Of the charities, the principal is Lady Anne Harrington's of £25 yearly, for distribution in coals; there is also one of £5, left by the Rev. John Rathbie, vicar in 1591, to be spent in bread. Forster's charity for religious instruction amounts to about £90. Exton Park, the seat of the Earl of Gainsborough, is now occupied by Sir Victor A. G. A. Warrender bart. M.C., M.P. ; the mansion, encompassed by a noble and extensive park and beautiful pleasure grounds and gardens, was built, in 1854, and is of stone with mullioned windows, in the Elizabethan style: the remains of the old Hall, nearly destroyed by fire in 1810, and again in 1918, are still standing in the park, which extends over about 1,000 acres, and has a lake fed by a stream. The trustees of the Earl of Gainsborough (who is a minor) are lords of the manor and own nearly the whole of the land. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, hay and roots. The area of the township is 4,046 acres of land and 8 of water; the population of the township in 1921 was 534, and of the ecclesiastical parish in 1911, 655.

Parish Clerk, William Chamberlain.
Post, M.O., T. & T. E. D. Office, Exton. Letters through Oakham
Conveyance.- Omnibuses run daily to Oakham & Stamford

HORN (or Horne) is a very small township of Exton adjoining Exton Park. The church has long since perished. Here, in 1470 (Mar. 13), was fought the battle of Stamford, when the Lancastrians were defeated by Edward IV. and 10,000 killed. The number of acres is 921 of land and 25 of water ; the population in 1921 was 26.

Bunbury Bertram John
Carp Rev. Alex. Nahum [vicar], Vicarage
Fitzwilliam Hon. Lady Wentworth, Barnsdale hall
Ould Rev. Father Gregory O.S.B. [Roman Catholic], Yew Tree house
Warrender Sir Victor Alexander George Anthony bart. M.C.) M.P. Exton park; Leasam, Rye, Sussex; Bruntfield house, Edinburgh & 18 Upper Grosvenor street W1 & Guards', Garrick & Beefsteak clubs, London

Bardwell Edmund, accountant, income tax & rate collector &c clerk to the Parish Council, Estate office
Barnett Edith (Miss), baker
Bottomley Jim, shopkeeper
Bunbury Bertram John, agent for the trustees of the Earl of Gainsborough for the Exton Estate. T N Cottesmore 8
Chamberlain William, boot maker
Clack Rt. farm bailiff to the trustees of the Earl of Gainsborough, House farm
Clifton Chas. head gardener to Sir Victor
Warrender bart. M.C., M.P
Cole Frank, grazier
Dalby Arthur, farmer, The Grange
Dalby Edwin, farmer
Exton Angling Association (Edmund
Bardwell, hon. sec)
Exton Benefit Society (William Cole,
Fox & Hounds hotel (Jas. Bardwell,
Fox Albert Edward, blacksmith
Grant Herbert, farmer. Brook farm
Halliday Samuel, farmer
Hibbitt Frederick & Cecil, farmers
Hibbitt Arthur, farmer
Hill Alfred G. butcher
Hill Thos. farmer
King Frederick, caretaker of Fort Henry
Lee Jesse, farmer
Paling Anthony, wheelwright
Smith Edmnd. Geo. plumber to the trustees of the Earl of Gainsborough
Stannage Sidney R. shopkpr. The Stores
Starbuck Frank, farmer, Hall farm
Walker Hannah Elizabeth (Miss), stationer, Post office
Wallace Arthur, small holder
Watchorn Jn. W. farmer, Horn mill
Whittington Wm. park & game keeper to Sir Victor Warrender bart. M.C., M.P
Wynn Jn. gardner to Rev. Alex. N. Carp

Transcribed from Kelly's Directory of Leicestershire and Rutland, 1928