DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo


CLIPSHAM is a parish and village on the borders of Lincolnshire, 3½ miles west from Little Bytham station on the Great Northern section of the London and North Eastern railway, and 3½ south-east from South Witham station and 2 miles north-east from Castle Bytham station, both on the Saxby and Bourne branch of the London, Midland and Scottish railway, 9 north-north-west from Stamford and 9 north-east from Oakham, in Oakham Soke hundred, union and county court district of Stamford, rural deanery of Rutland (first portion), archdeaconry of Oakham and diocese of Peterborough. The church of St. Mary is an ancient building of stone in the Early English, Norman and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave with clerestory, aisles, north chapel, south porch and a western tower with broach spire, containing 3 bells: the nave is Norman, the chancel Decorated, and the aisles Early English, but one of the buttresses of the original Norman edifice remains on the west side of the tower: the north chapel retains some ancient stained glass, with the arms of the Neville family: there are also remains of an ancient chantry, dedicated to St. Nicholas, on the south side of the nave: in the church is a handsome marble monument to the Snow family, dated 1706, a brass to the Rev. Matthew Snow M.A. d. April, 1809, and other memorials to persons of the same name: the church was restored and the whole of the windows filled with stained glass in 1858, chiefly at the cost of J. N. Paget esq. and family: there are 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1726, several volumes of an earlier period being missing. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £319, with residence and 9 acres of glebe, in the gift of John Davenport-Handley-Humphreys esq. J.P. and held since 1911 by the Rev. Joseph Sedgwick Barnes M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. On the east side of the parish, near Pickworth Wood, are quarries of excellent freestone. Clipsham Hall, standing in a park of 70 acres, with woods and plantations exceeding 160 acres, is a mansion of local stone, in the Classic style, with a fine semicircular portico, supported on columns of the Doric order: it is now occupied by John Davenport-Handley-Humphreys esq. J.P. lord of the manor and principal landowner. In 1884 stables for 30 horses, a house for the farm bailiff, coachman's house and estate offices were built of stone quarried on the estate, at a cost of £16,000. The description of land is various, principally of a heavy nature, grass and arable. The area is 1,669 acres ; the population in 1921 was 120

Post & M.O. Office. Letters through Oakham. Stretton is the nearest T. office

(For T N's see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Barnes Rev. Joseph Sedgwick M.A. [rector], Rectory
Davenport-Handley-Humphreys John J.P. Clipsham hall

Ardin Walter, blacksmith
Buckingham Ernest, gamekeeper to John Davenport-Handley-Humphreys esq.J.P
Clipsham Quarry Co. stone quarries
Darnell William, farmer
Drake Edwin B. grocer
Hawley Wm. farmer
Medwell Geo. farmer
Sharman William Taylor, frmr. Manor ho
Tambling Thos. boot repr
Wilson Alfred Edward, beer retailer

Transcribed from Kelly's Directory of Leicestershire and Rutland, 1928