UK Genealogy Archives logo

West Ilsley

West Ilsley is a small village and parish 11 miles north from Newbury and 4 north-west from Compton station on the Didcot and Winchester railway, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Compton, Ilsley petty sessional division, union and county court district of Wantage, rural deanery of Newbury, archdeaconry of Berks and diocese of Oxford; it is pleasantly situated in a deep valley in the centre of the Downs, and the traveller, in passing along the road, does not perceive it till he comes to the brow of a hill at the entrance to the village.
Transcribed from Kelly's Directory of Berkshire, 1915