UK Genealogy Archives logo

Welford

Welford, anciently Weligford, the "Willow-ford," is a parish on the river Lambourn, with a station on the Lambourn Valley branch of the Great Western railway, and is 5 miles north-west from Newbury. The parish comprises the chapelry of Wickham and the hamlets of Easton, Weston and Hoe Benham, and is in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Faircross, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Newbury, rural deanery of Newbury, archdeaconry of Berks and diocese of Oxford.
Transcribed from Kelly's Directory of Berkshire, 1915