UK Genealogy Archives logo

Lambourn

Lambourn (or Chipping Lambourn) is a parish and small town, and the bead of a petty sessional division, with a terminal station on the Lambourn Valley railway from Newbury, constructed in 1895-8; it is about 7 miles south from Uffington station and 7 south-east from Shrivenham station, both on the Great Western railway, 10 miles north from Hungerford, 12 miles north-west from Newbury and 10 south from Wantage, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Lambourn, union and county court district of Hungerford, rural deanery of Newbury, archdeaconry of Berks and diocese of Oxford; the Lambourn river takes its rise near here and flows through the town to the Kennet, near Newbury.
Transcribed from Kelly's Directory of Berkshire, 1915