DUNKESWELL ABBEY ecclesiastical district was formed in 1842, out of the mother parishes of Clayhidon, Dunkeswell and Hemyock, and in 1871 contained 228 persons (118 males, 110 females), living in 42 houses: of the inhabitants, 46 are in Clayhidon ancient parish, 99 in Dunkeswell, and 83 in Hemyock. The district is in Honiton union county court district, and petty sessional division, Hemyock polling district of North Devon, Hemyock hundred, Exeter archdeaconry, and Dunkeswell rural deanery. The Abbey is described above. The CHURCH (Holy Trinity) was erected in 1842 by Mrs. Simcoe, in the Early English style, and, with the burial ground, occupies the site of the ancient Abbey, There are several stained glass windows in the church. The living is a vicarage, valued at about £110 a year, derived from various sources, in the patronage of Captain Simcoe, and incumbency of the Rev. William Thomas G. Griffith, who has a parsonage house, built in 1878. There is a good SCHOOL in the district.
POST OFFICE at Mr. Thomas Salway's. Letters are received at 8.30 a.m., and despatched at 4 p.m. via Honiton, which is the nearest Money Order Office.
Transcribed from History, Gazetteer and Directory of Devon, by William White, 2nd edition, 1878-9