COFFINSWELL, a parish, 8 miles S.E. of Newton Abbott, and 1 mile from Kingskerwell Railway Station, ie in Newton Abbot union and county court district, Teignbridge petty sessional division, Haytor hundred, northern division of the county, Totnes archdeaconry, and Ipplepen rural deanery. Its parish, which includes Daccombe hamlet, had 193 inhabitants (99 males, 94 females) in 1871, living in 40 houses, on 1126 acres of land. The Misses Carew are ladies of the manor; but part of the soil belongs to Hercules E. Brown, Esq., and a few smaller owners. The CHURCH (St. Bartholomew), an ancient structure, with a a tower containing four bells, was re-seated with open benches in 1871. The curacy is annexed to the vicarage of St. Mary Church, in the patronage and appropriation of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The Rev. T. John Trevenen, M.A., is the curate-in-charge, who has a good parsonage house, built in 1866. The tithes were commuted in 1843 for £238 a year. A SCHOOL BOARD, for the united district of Coffinswell and Haccombe, was formed in 1874, and now consists of the Rev. F. J. Taylor (chairman), the Rev. T. J, Trevenen (vice), and Messrs. J. Rendell, sen., T. Mudge, and W. Bowden. Mr. A. S. Rendell is clerk. The parishioners of Coffinswell were, until about fifty years ago, in the habit of bringing their dead for burial to the churchyard of St. Mary Church, the mother church, except those who had family right of sepulture within the walls of their own church ; and for this privilege they supplied St. Mary Church with bell-ropes whenever required. In 1824 or 1825, the then curate-in-charge began to use a piece of ground round Coffinswell Church for interments, which has been used as a churchyard ever since, though it has never been consecrated.
POST from Newton Abbot, Here is a PILLAR LETTER Box, cleared at 5.40 p.m. (Sundays, 10 a.m.). Kingskerwell is the nearest Railway Station.
Transcribed from History, Gazetteer and Directory of Devon, by William White, 2nd edition, 1878-9