Ashprington, a parish and village picturesquely seated on a gentle slope near the confluence of the river Harbourn with the estuary of the Dart, 21/2 miles S.E. of Totnes railway station, eight miles N.W. of Dartmouth, and twelve miles s. by W. of Torquay. Its parish, which includes the hamlets of Westbourn and Yeatson and part of that of Tuckenhay, is in Totnes union, and county court district, Stanborough and Coleridge petty sessional division, Brent polling district of South Devon, Totnes archdeaconry and rural deanery, and Coleridge hundred. It had 565 inhabitants (265 males, 300 females) in 1871, living in 128 houses on 2790 acres; the parish includes 145 acres of water. Richard Durant, Esq., J.P., owns a great part of the parish, and is owner of the manor of Sharpham, which has been successively held by the Winard, French, Prideaux, Drewe, Giles, Yarde, Cockey, Pownall and Bastard families. The Rev. G.T. Carwithen, Mr. W.D. Adama, Mr. Edmonds, Mrs. Chilcote, Mr. Jeffry Edwards, Mr. Freer, and Mrs. Adams, have estates here. Painsford, an ancient mansion on the banks of the river Harbourn, and the residence of Mr. Richard Coaker, is the property of Mr. Philip Michelmore, and has been successively held by the Piperell, Halwill, Somaster, Kellond, Courtenay, and other families.
Transcribed from History, Gazetteer and Directory of Devon, by William White, 2nd edition, 1878-9