Ashford, a parish and small village on an acclivity on the north side of the estuary of the Taw, 2 1/2 miles W.N.W. of Barnstaple, in Barnstaple union, county court district, archdeaconry and rural deanery, Braunton petty sessional division and hundred, and Braunton polling district of North Devon. Its parish had 152 inhabitants (68 males, 84 females) in 1871, living in 33 houses, on 359 acres of land. The manor was successively held by the Beaumont, Bassett, Moore and Bampfylde families, and was sold in lots about 1815, by Sir C.W. Bampfylde. It now belongs to the executors of the late George Langdon, Esq., Sir W.R. Drake, Messrs. J.M. Fisher Lewis, and W,. and Thos. Badcock, and a few others.
Transcribed from History, Gazetteer and Directory of Devon, by William White, 2nd edition, 1878-9