Castlecary, Stirlingshire

Historical Description

CASTLECARY, a village, in the parish of FALKIRK, county of STIRLING, 8 miles (W. S. W.) from Falkirk. This hamlet, which is situated at the western extremity of the parish, and on the bank of the Forth and Clyde canal, takes its name from an ancient castle on the line of the Roman road, of which the tower, now inhahited by the Earl of Zetland's forester, is the only remaining portion. On the bank of the canal is a small landing-place for goods and passengers; and in the immediate vicinity are some saw-mills driven by water, in which about sixteen persons are employed, and some freestone quarries which are extensively wrought. Great facility of intercourse is afforded by the Edinburgh and Glasgow, the Caledonian, and the Scottish-Central railways.-See FALKIRK.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis