Carronshore, Stirlingshire

Historical Description

CARRONSHORE, a village, partly in the parish of LARBERT, but chiefly in that of BOTHKENNAR, county of STIRLING, 3 miles (N.) from Falkirk; containing 838 inhabitants, of whom 453 are in Bothkennar parish. This village is situated on the north bank of the river Carron, about a mile below the Carron foundry. Ironstone, limestone, and other materials for the Carron works, are landed here, and also lime and manure for the neighbouring farmers. Goods from the foundry are occasionally shipped here, but the greater!r part of the produce is shipped at Grangemouth and at the Forth and Clyde canal. There is a dry dock at Carronshore for repairing vessels. The inhabitants are chiefly connected with the iron-works, in which many of them are employed, and also in the collieries in the neighbourhood, belonging to the company.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis