CAMPSIE, a parish, in the county of STIRLING, 3½ miles (E.) from Strathblane; containing, with the villages of Birdstone, Haugh-head, Lennoxtown, Milton, Torrance, and the Clachan, 6402 inhabitants. This parish, previously to the year 1649, was much larger than at present; and on account of its isolated situation, arising from its natural boundaries, it was distinguished by many peculiarities and singular customs. At the period named, its southern extremity was erected into a new parish called Baldernock, and its eastern extremity united to Kilsyth. It now extends in length about seven miles, and six miles in breadth, comprising an area of 17,000 acres, of which about 7550 are hills, 7550 arable, 500 wood and plantations, and the remainder lakes, &c. The surface consists of two ranges of hills, and the intermediate valley, running nearly from east to west. The highest eminences are those forming the northern boundary, called Campsie fells, rising at their greatest elevation 1500 feet above the sea, and intersected with numerous glens of exquisite beauty, exhibiting a profusion of romantic scenery on their rocky sides. In the glen called Kirktoun glen artificial terraces have been cut, shrouded with ferns, lichens, and all kinds of wild flowers; and numbers of persons resort to it in fine weather, on account of its attractive scenery, and to witness the variety and grandeur of the prospect from the neighbouring heights. The southern range, called the Brae, is a continuation of the braes of Kilpatrick, and rises about 700 feet. The valley is covered throughout with a succession of undulations, reaching to the precipitous sides of the northern fells, whence several burns pour down, three of which, uniting their streams, form the river Glassert, which, after traversing a considerable extent of ground in the parish, falls into the Kelvin near Kirkintilloch.