Bucklyvie, Stirlingshire

Historical Description

BUCKLYVIE, formerly a quoad sacra parish; consisting of part of the parish of DRYMEN, in the county of STIRLING, and part of that of KIPPEN, in the counties of PERTH and STIRLING; containing 963 inhabitants, of whom 381 are in the village, 5 miles (W. S. W.) from Kippen. Bucklyvie is situated on the road from Kippen to Drymen, and is a burgh of barony, and entitled to hold five fairs. The parish was in the presbytery of Dunblane, synod of Perth and Stirling. The church was built in 1835, by subscription, at a cost of £600, and contains 352 sittings; but it is not now opened. The stipend of the minister was £70, with a small allowance for communion elements. There are places of worship for the United Presbyterian Synod and members of the Free Church.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis