BOTHKENNAR is bounded on the east by the Firth of Forth, and on the south by the river Carron; forming part of the tract called the Carse of Falkirk. It is about one mile and a half in length, and of nearly the same breadth, comprising about 1560 acres, the whole under tillage. The surface is entirely level; and the soil, under which, at various depths, are found layers of marine shells, is a very rich alluvial loam, highly cultivated according to the most improved methods of husbandry, and producing all kinds of crops, but wheat and beans in the largest proportions, with hay of a superior quality, which is sent for sale to the Edinburgh market. There are numerous orchards, some of which are supposed to have been planted by the monks of Cambuskenneth; they yield various kinds of fruit, but especially very fine pears, of which the trees bearing an indigenous species called the "golden nap" are particularly celebrated for their luxuriance and beauty, and sometimes produce each, yearly, fruit to the amount in value of £10. The whole of the lands, with very few exceptions, have been improved by tile-draining, the benefit of which has been so extensive as to pay the former in two years for the outlay. Great attention is given to the rearing of horses of a superior kind for the uses of husbandry. The annual value of real property in the parish is £4299. Coal of excellent quality is abundant, and has for a number of years been wrought by the Carron Company, who pay £1000 per annum to the proprietors for this privilege: within the last few years, as already observed, a new coal-work has been brought into operation. Ecclesiastically the parish is in the presbytery of Stirling, synod of Perth and Stirling, and in the patronage of John Dallas, R.N.; the minister's stipend is £201. 12. 10., with a manse, built in 1816 at a cost of £1600, and a glebe valued at £12 per annum. The church was built in 1789; it has since undergone considerable repairs, and is a plain comfortable edifice, suited to the accommodation of the parishioners. The parochial school affords instruction in English grammar, arithmetic, writing, geography, mathematics, Latin, and Greek; the master has a salary of £34. 4. 4., with £25 fees.