Bonnybridge, Stirlingshire

Historical Description

BONNYBRIDGE, a village, in the parish of Falkirk, county of Stirling, 4 miles (W. S. W.) from Falkirk; containing 184 inhabitants. This village is pleasantly situated on the turnpike-road to Glasgow, and on the eastern bank of the river Bonny, which separates the western portion of the parish from the parishes of Denny and Dunipace. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture, and in the various works in the adjacent neighbourhood. At Bonnymuir, in the immediate vicinity, is a distillery, in which about twelve persons are regularly engaged, and which, on an average, pays government duties amounting to £150 weekly; and at Bonnyside, is a saw-mill, driven by water, in which fourteen persons are employed. A school has been established here, the master of which has a salary of £4, arising from a bequest of £100 by Mr. Scott; he has also a house and garden rent-free. In the neighbourhood of Bonnybridge is a small burying-place.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis