Banton, Stirlingshire

Historical Description

BANTON, for a time a quoad sacra parish, forming part of the parish of Kilsyth, in the county of Stirling; extending about five miles in length, and three in breadth, and containing 964 inhabitants, of whom 136 are in the village of Banton, 200 in the village of Auchinmully, and 65 in the Mullans. These villages are inhabited mostly by colliers and miners, and lie about three miles north-east of Kilsyth. In the year 1844, there were in the district twelve ironstone pits and four coal-works, all in working order; a corn-mill, two flax-mills, a paper-mill, and a sickle-mill; also a power-loom factory, newly erected to contain sixty-four looms. The church was built in 1837, by subscription, and a grant from the General Assembly's church extension committee; it is seated for 426 persons, and is capable of being enlarged by a gallery to accommodate 200 more. This place of worship now belongs to the Free Church. A school, and a dwelling-house for the master, were erected in 1771, at a cost of about £30, and rebuilt in 1837 on a larger and improved plan, at an expense of about £320, which was defrayed by voluntary contributions. There is a subscription library, opened in 1835, which contains about 200 volumes.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis