BANNOCKBURN, for a time a quoad sacra parish, including the village of Bannockburn, in the parish of St. Ninian's, county of Stirling; containing 3176 inhabitants, of whom 2206 are in the village, 2 miles (S. S. E.) from Stirling, on the road to Falkirk. Nearly all the inhabitants of the village are employed in manufacturing tartans, shawls, and carpets. There are very extensive coal-works, producing a material of the best quality, which is sent in large quantities to most of the surrounding districts; and also a tan-work for preparing foreign skins, as well as skins from the country around. A post-office is established under Stirling; here is a station of the Scottish Central railway, and fairs are held in June and October. The small river Bannock, running directly through the village, gives name to this place, which is celebrated in history as the scene of the decisive battle between Robert Bruce and Edward II., in 1314, when the Scots obtained a signal victory, Edward and the English being completely routed. To the south of the field of Bannockburn, on the 11th of June, 1488, was fought the field of Stirling, or battle of Sauchie, between James III. and the confederate lords, wherein that monarch lost his life. A church, containing 900 sittings, was opened in October 1838; it now belongs to the Free Church, and there is also a place of worship for the United Presbyterian Synod. See Ninian's, St.