Bainsford, Stirlingshire

Historical Description

BAINSFORD, a village, in the parish of Falkirk, county of Stirling, 1 mile (N.) from Falkirk. This village forms part of the suburbs of the town of Falkirk, and is included within the parliamentary boundary. It is situated on the north side of the Forth and Clyde canal, over which is a drawbridge, affording access to the village of Grahamston. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the Carron iron-works, and the proprietors of that establishment have a basin here, communicating with the canal, and which is connected with the works in the adjoining parish of Larbert, by a railway. There is a rope-walk, where several persons are employed; and in the village, which is neatly built, is a well-conducted school.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis