Carronbridge, Dumfriesshire

Historical Description

CARRONBRIDGE, a village, chiefly in the parish of MORTON, and partly in that of DURRISDEER, county of DUMFRIES, 2 miles (N. by W.) from Thornhill; containing 254 inhabitants. This place takes its name from its bridge over the Carron water, which separates the parishes of Durisdeer and Morton. It is situated in the southern extremity of the former parish, and on the western boundary of the latter, a short distance east of the river Nith.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis