Craigmill, Clackmannanshire

Historical Description

CRAIGMILL, a hamlet, in the parish of LOGIE, county of CLACKMANNAN, 2 miles (N. E.) from Stirling; containing 78 inhabitants. It is situated at the southern base of the Abbey Craig, in a detached portion of the county, about a mile south of Logie, and on the north side of the Forth river, which here is very devious in its course. The place was chiefly known, before the duty on spirits was lowered, as an abode of smugglers.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis