Crosshouse, Ayrshire

Historical Description

CROSSHOUSE, a village, in the parish of KILMAURS, district of CUNNINGHAME, county of AYR, 2½ miles (W. by N.) from Kilmarnock, containing 255 inhabitants. This place is situated on the western side of the Carmel water, and on the roads between Irvine and Kilmarnock, and Dundonald and Kilmaurs, which here form a junction. In the village is a small school, the master of which is allowed £6 per annum and a dwelling by the heritors.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, 1851 by Samuel Lewis