CROSSHILL, a village, in the parish of KIRKMICHAEL, district of CARRICK, county of AYR, 2¾ miles (S. E.) from Maybole; containing 1163 inhabitants. This village, which is pleasantly situated on the river Girvan, has arisen within the last fifty or sixty years, and is partly built on lands let for that purpose by the proprietor of the barony of Dalhoan. There are also houses built on the estates of Kilkerran and Kirkmichael, forming part of the village. The inhabitants, a large majority of whom are settlers from Ireland, are chiefly employed in the cotton manufacture established by the wholesale houses of Glasgow, who have agents residing on the spot. A considerable number of the females, both here and throughout the parish, are employed in working and flowering muslins for the Glasgow and Paisley manufacturers, and their work is much admired for its elegance. In the village is a post-office, under that of Maybole. A chapel of ease has been erected; it is a neat and substantial edifice, adapted for a congregation of more than 450, and is so arranged as to admit of future enlargement by the addition of galleries when requisite. A spacious schoolroom was erected in the village by a former proprietor, for the instruction of the children of this part of the parish, and in addition to the use of the schoolroom, the master receives a salary of £10 from the General Assembly's Education Scheme, the school having lately been taken into connexion with the schools of the General Assembly. There is also an infants' school, commenced a few years ago, the mistress of which has £10 per annum, and fuel, besides a house and the schoolroom, from the bounty of Sir Charles Dalrymple Fergusson, Bart., of Kilkerran.