AUCHINLECK, a parish, in the district of KYLE, county of AYR, 1½ mile (N. W.) from Old Cumnock; containing 1659 inhabitants, of whom about 600 are in the village. This place, the Celtic name of which is descriptive of its abounding with stone, is supposed to be of considerable antiquity. But little of its history is known prior to the commencement of the sixteenth century, when the manor, which belonged to a family of the same name, becoming forfeited to the crown, was granted by James IV. to Thomas Boswell, a branch of an ancient family in the county of Fife, ancestor of the biographer of Dr. Johnson, and who was killed at the battle of Flodden-field. The parish is about seventeen miles in length, from east to west, and not more than two miles in average breadth, comprising about 19,000 acres, of which 5000 are arable, 300 woodland and plantations, and 13,000 natural pasture and waste. Its surface is generally elevated, and towards the east the hills rise to a height of upwards of 1000 feet. A moss several miles in length called Aird's Moss, nearly in the centre of the parish, gives it a barren appearance. The vale of Glenmore, also, of considerable extent, and in a state of nature, presents features of wild aspect; but the more western portion of the parish, being wholly in cultivation, has an air of cheerfulness and fertility. The river Ayr forms for a small space a boundary between this parish and that of Muirkirk, and pursues its course into the parish of Sorn; while the Lugar, another river, separates Auchinleck for about five miles from Cumnock, and for about two miles from the parish of Ochiltree, and flows into the river Ayr about a mile below this place, near the town of Mauchline.