WOODSFORD, a parish, in the union of Dorchester, hundred of Winfrith, Dorchester division of Dorset, 5½ miles (E.) from the town of Dorchester; containing 158 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the north by the river Frome, comprises 1700 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 9. 9½., and in the gift of H. C. Sturt, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £250, and the glebe comprises 7 acres. The church is a small structure with a low tower. Upon the river are the remains of a castle of quadrangular form, built by Guido de Brient, one side of which has been converted into a farmhouse, a very lofty building. The principal entrance was on the west, where is still an ancient staircase, and in the southeast corner is another, both pierced with narrow apertures for arrows, or small arms. The offices on the basement are all vaulted with stone; above is an apartment called the Queen's room, with vestiges of a chapel, and around the whole are traces of a moat.