Winscombe (St. James)
WINSCOMBE (St. James), a parish, in the union of Axbridge, hundred of Winterstoke, E. division of Somerset, 2 miles (N. by W.) from Axbridge; containing, with the hamlet of Woodborough, 1436 inhabitants. It comprises 4140 acres, of which 467 are common or waste land. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £16. 2. 11.; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The great tithes have been commuted for £200, and the vicarial for £250: the appropriate and vicarial glebes contain respectively, 125½ acres, and 1¾ acre. The church is a handsome structure, with a stately tower crowned by pinnacles. Symons Cardinbrook, in 1761, gave the residue of his estate to be applied in teaching poor children; a schoolroom was erected by subscription, aided by about £60 from the bequest: the permanent annual income is £15.