WANBOROUGH, a parish, in the union of Guildford, First division of the hundred of Wokeing, W. division of Surrey, 4 miles (W.) from Guildford; contaming 171 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 1792 acres, and is intersected by the high ridge of land called the Hog's Back, which commands an extensive and richly-diversified view of the surrounding country. Nearly one-third of the area is coppice and common waste; the soil is light, and there are several chalk-pits. Wanborough is tithe-free, and exempt from ecclesiastical jurisdiction. The church, which was presented to by the abbot of Waverley, has fallen into decay; part of it was converted into a mausoleum by the late James Mangles, Esq., who was interred here in 1838.