Urchfont (St. Michael)
URCHFONT (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Devizes, hundred of Swansborough, Devizes and N. divisions of Wilts, 5 miles (S. E.) from Devizes; containing, with the hamlets of Eastcott, Lydeway, and Wedhampton, 1530 inhabitants. This parish comprises between 5000 and 6000 acres, and is situated within a quarter of a mile of the Salisbury and Devizes road. It was the property of Sir William Pynsent, Bart., and, with other estates, was left by him to the great Earl of Chatham, in testimony of respect for his character. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of Stert annexed, valued in the king's books at £15. 15. 10., and in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor, the appropriators. The great tithes have been commuted for £1425, and those of the vicar for £300; there are 28 acres of appropriate, and two of vicarial, glebe. The church is a fine ancient edifice. Here is a place of worship for Baptists.