Upton (St. Peter)
UPTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Southwell, Southwell division of the wapentake of Thurgarton, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 2½ miles (E.) from Southwell; containing 601 inhabitants. The parish is on the road from Newark to Southwell, and comprises 1384 acres: the village is handsome, and pleasantly situated on a declivity, affording pleasing and extensive views which include Southwell and Lincoln minsters. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the Chapter of Southwell, valued in the king's books at £4. 11. 5½.; net income, £100, with a glebe-house, built in 1843. The tithes were commuted in 1795; the glebe consists of 40 acres. The church is an ancient edifice with a handsome tower, and is endowed with lands of the annual value of £20, for keeping it in repair, the surplus to be given to poor soldiers travelling through the parish. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.