Upton (St. Leonard)
UPTON (St. Leonard), a parish, in the Middle division of the hundred of Dudstone and King's-Barton, union and E. division of the county of Gloucester, 3 miles (S. E. by S.) from Gloucester; containing 893 inhabitants. The parish is intersected by the road from Gloucester to Painswick. It comprises 2974a. 1r. 15p., of which 1820 acres are pasture, 800 arable field land, 200 inclosed arable, 90 wood, 56 in roads and waste, and 7 common pasture; the soil is principally a strong clay, but in some parts is sand, stone brash, and gravel. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £86; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is principally Norman; the tower and some of the details are later English.