UPTON, a parish, in the union, and Lower division of the hundred, of Wirrall, S. division of the county of Chester, 3 miles (W.) from Birkenhead; containing 237 inhabitants. It comprises 917 acres of land, the soil of which is clay. A market was held so late as 1662, and there are still two fairs for cattle: a court leet and baron takes place annually. The lands have been considerably improved by William Webster, Esq., of Upton Hall, who is lord of the manor. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £52; patron, Mr. Webster; impropriator, Sir W. T. Stanley, Bart., whose tithes have been commuted for £145. The glebe of the incumbent comprises 19½ acres. The church, formerly at Overchurch, half a mile distant, was pulled down in 1813, and a new church erected in the village: the old cemetery is still used.