Upton (St. Lawrence)
UPTON (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Eton, hundred of Stoke, county of Buckingham, 3 miles (N. W. by W.) from Colnbrook; containing, with the chapelry of Chalvey and part of the town of Slough, 2296 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the great Bath road, about a mile from the river Thames, and the Great Western railway passes through it. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 17., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £220; impropriator, W. Bousey, Esq. Certain tithes were exchanged for land and a money payment in 1808, and some impropriate tithes have been just commuted for a rent-charge of £239. The church, which is said to have been partly built before the Conquest, has a fine Norman doorway, and is principally in that style. At Chalvey is a chapel of ease, towards the erection of which the late king gave £100, the Queen Dowager £50, and the impropriator and incumbent £200 each; it is a handsome edifice in the Norman style, adapted for a congregation of 800. There is a place of worship for Independents. Benjamin Lane, in 1720, bequeathed a rent-charge of £20, for clothing six men and six women, and distributing some bibles annually. In this parish is situated the workhouse of the Eton union. The late Sir William Herschel, the celebrated astronomer, resided and was buried here; and his son, the present Sir John F. Herschel, Bart., was born and resides in the parish.