Uppingham (St. Peter and St. Paul)
UPPINGHAM (St. Peter and St. Paul), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Martinsley, county of Rutland, 6 miles (S.) from Oakham, and 89 (N. N. W.) from London; containing 2034 inhabitants. The name of this place is descriptive of its elevated situation. The town consists principally of one good street, with a square area in the centre, and is tolerably well paved; the houses are commodious and well built, and the inhabitants are supplied with water from a spring in the, upper part of the town. The air, though keen, is pure and salubrious, and the surrounding country is pleasingly diversified. The market, granted by Edward I. in 1280 to Peter de Montford, is held on Wednesday, and is well supplied with corn and cattle; fairs take place on March 7th and July 7th, chiefly for horses, horned-cattle, and sheep, and also for coarse linen-cloth. The powers of the county debt-court of Uppingham, established in 1847, extend over the registration-district of Uppingham, and part of that of Billesden. The town is situated on the roads from London to Melton-Mowbray, and from Stamford to Leicester, and is about three miles distant from the river Welland, which divides the county of Rutland from Northamptonshire. The lands are on the lias formation, possessing its peculiar features of long ridges of low but steep hills separated by fertile valleys. The soil is of a red appearance; beneath, to the depth generally of two or three feet, is a shaly red stone, and under this, as far as it has been worked, either a red stone, or a blue stone encrusted with red, of variable thickness, and a very stiff blue clay which makes good bricks. The red stone is soft and easily worked; the blue is much harder: both are used for building.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £20. 0. 10.; net income, £661; patron, the Bishop of London: the glebe comprises about 265 acres. The church, situated on the south side of the square, is a spacious structure in the ancient English style, with a tower surmounted by a lofty spire. There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. The free grammar school (adjoining the churchyard) and an hospital for poor men were founded in 1584, by Robert Johnson, archdeacon of Leicester, and rector of North Luffenham, in this county, who instituted a similar school and hospital at Oakham, which see. Many eminent persons have been educated in the school, including Dr. Charles Manners Sutton, Archbishop of Canterbury; Lord Manners, late chancellor of Ireland; Dr. Henry Feme, Bishop of Chester; and Dr. Bramston, Roman Catholic Bishop of the London district. The celebrated Jeremy Taylor was rector of Uppingham. The poor-law union comprises 35 parishes or places, of which 16 are in Leicestershire, and 19 in Rutland, the whole containing a population of 10,049.