Upchurch (St. Mary)
UPCHURCH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Milton, Upper division of the lathe of Scray, E. division of Kent, 5½ miles (E. by S.) from Chatham; containing 520 inhabitants. The parish comprises 3553a. 2r. 34p., of which 1277 acres are arable, 731 pasture, 1297 salt-marsh, 61 wood, 94 in orchards and gardens, and 26 in hop-grounds. It contains also 63 acres of land tithe-free. On the north flows the Medway, where are Otterham creek and quay, at which corn is shipped. By a survey made in the reign of Elizabeth, it appears that twelve vessels belonged to the place. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £11; net income, £155; patrons and impropriators, the Warden and Fellows of All Souls' College, Oxford. The church, built probably in the reign of Edward III., is a handsome structure, partly in the decorated and partly in the later English style.