UGBOROUGH, a parish, in the union of Totnes, hundred of Ermington, Ermington and Plympton, and S. divisions of Devon, 8 miles (W. S. W.) from Totnes; containing 523 inhabitants. The parish is on the road from Plymouth to Exeter, and comprises 8659 acres, of which 2631 are common or waste. A lead-mine is worked at Filham, and there are some quarries of slate and limestone. Fairs are held in May and November. The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed with a portion of the rectorial tithes, and valued in the king's books at £20; net income, £260; patrons, the Grocers' Company; impropriator of the remainder of the rectorial tithes, Lady Carew. There are 3 acres of glebe. The church is a handsome structure, standing upon a bold eminence, and forming a striking feature in the scenery; it is in the early English style, and contains a Norman font, and some curious remains of ancient screenwork. At Ivybridge, a village partly in the parish, is a district church; and at Earlscombe was formerly a chapel. There is a place of worship for Baptists. Sir John Kempthorn, a distinguished admiral, was born at Widescomb here, in 1620.