Ufford (St. Mary)
UFFORD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Woodbridge, hundred of Wilford, E. division of Suffolk, 2½ miles (N. E.) from Woodbridge; containing 673 inhabitants. It comprises 1155a. 2r. 29p;.: the soil in general is light or mixed, but in some places clayey; the surface is partly hilly, and the lands adjacent to the river Deben, which flows through the parish, are subject to inundation. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 5., and in the gift of F. C. Brooke, Esq., whose seat, Ufford Place, is in the parish: the tithes have been commuted for £331, and the glebe consists of 35 acres. The church contains a font with a curious cover, which has been engraved by the Society of Antiquaries. Here was anciently a chapel called Sogenho. An hospital for four men was founded by Thomas Wood, D.D., Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry, who endowed it with £15 per annum. William Otley, lord mayor of London in 1434, was born here; and the Uffords, earls of Suffolk, took their name from the place.