Thorley (St. Mary)
THORLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the liberty of West Medina, Isle of Wight division of the county of Southampton, 1 mile (E. S. E.) from Yarmouth; containing 163 inhabitants. It comprises 1518 acres, of which 1014 are arable, 359 meadow and pasture, 50 down, and 78 wood. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 18. 9.; patron, the Rev. James Penfold. The great tithes have been commuted for £257, and the small for £110: the vicar has a glebe of 16 acres. The church was erected by Amicia, Countess of Devon, who gave it to the priory of Christchurch, by which establishment it was retained till the Dissolution.