Symondsbury (St. John the Baptist)
SYMONDSBURY (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Bridport, hundred of Whitchurch-Canonicorum, Bridport division of Dorset, 1¼ mile (W. N. W.) from Bridport; containing 1316 inhabitants. It is on the road from London to Exeter, and comprises about 4000 acres. The surface is marked by several conical hills; the soil in the low grounds is a strong clay, and in other parts loam and sand. The small river Simene runs through the lands. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £36. 3. 4., and in the gift of the family of Raymond: the tithes have been commuted for £770, and there is a parsonagehouse, with a glebe of 160 acres. The church is a large cruciform structure, partly in the early and partly in the later English style, with a tower rising from the intersection, and contains some monuments to the family of Syndercombe. In the neighbourhood are several springs slightly impregnated with iron.