Sydling (St. Nicholas)
SYDLING (St. Nicholas), a parish and liberty, in the union of Cerne, Cerne division of Dorset, 3 miles (W. S. W.) from Cerne; containing 675 inhabitants. It comprises 4980a. 2r. 32p., of which about 1962 acres are arable, 2778 pasture, and 179 woodland. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £13. 1.0½.; net income, £169; patrons and impropriators, the Warden and Fellows of Winchester College. The great tithes have been commuted for £513, and the appropriate glebe contains 6¾ acres. The church is a neat structure in the later English style, with a high embattled tower; the chancel was elegantly rebuilt by the late Sir William Smith. At Hilfield, in the parish, is a chapel of ease, erected about 1680. There is a place of worship for Independents; and a national school is supported by endowment.