Swyre (Holy Trinity)
SWYRE (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Bridport, hundred of Uggscombe, Dorchester division of Dorset, 5½ miles (S. E.) from Bridport; containing 231 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the south by the English Channel, and the village is situated about one mile from the coast. A fair was granted to the inhabitants in the 36th of Henry VIII. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 0. 5., and in the gift of the Duke of Bedford: the tithes have been commuted for £160, and the glebe comprises 25 acres. The church was consecrated in 1503; it has a lofty tower, and north and south porches. Cornua Ammonis and Lapis Judaicus are found, the latter exactly resembling half a peascod, and of a faint green hue. In different parts is dug a grey coarse marble full of shells, and which is of a black colour when polished.