Sutton-Waldron (St. Bartholomew)
SUTTON-WALDRON (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union of Shaftesbury, hundred of Redlane, Shaston division of Dorset, 5 miles (S.) from Shaftesbury 5 containing 251 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road between Blandford and Shaftesbury, and comprises 1012 acres, of which 297 are common or waste land; the surface is considerably diversified, and is watered by a rivulet which falls into the Stour. A small quantity of copper-ore has been found. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 9. 4½.; net income, £169; patron, H. C. Sturt, Esq. The glebe contains 20 acres. A new church with a tower and spire, erected at the cost of the incumbent, the Rev. A. Huxtable, was consecrated in Nov. 1847.