Stoke, East (St. Mary)
STOKE, EAST (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Wareham and Purbeck, hundred of Winfrith, Wareham division of Dorset, 4 miles (W. by S.) from Wareham; containing 590 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Wareham to Dorchester, and comprises by admeasurement 5860 acres, consisting of about equal portions of arable, pasture, and heath; the soil is various, comprehending several sandy and gravelly mixtures, with a little clay. The situation is pleasant, commanding a distant view of the Purbeck hills, and embracing a fertile valley watered by the river Froome. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 12. 11.; net income, £326; patrons, Sir W. Oglander, Bart. The church is a neat edifice, built by subscription, in 1827, at an expense of £1700. Bindon Abbey, in the parish, was founded in 1172, by Robert de Newburgh and Maud his wife, who endowed it for monks of the Cistercian order; it was dedicated to St. Mary, and at the Dissolution its revenue was valued at £229. 2. 1., and the site granted to Sir Thomas Poynings. The beautiful remains consist principally of an angle of the tower of the church, and part of the walls, with the foundations.