Spetisbury (St. John the Baptist)
SPETISBURY (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Blandford, hundred of Loosebarrow, Blandford division of Dorset, 3 miles (S. E. by S.) from Blandford; containing 654 inhabitants. The river Stour runs past the village. The living is a rectory, with the living of Charlton-Marshal annexed, valued in the king's books at £28. 18. 1½., and in the gift of R. Pryor, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £440; there is a glebe-house, and the glebe comprises 51 acres. The Roman Catholics have a chapel. In 1728, a school was endowed by Dr. Sloper and Bishop Hall with land now producing £110 per annum. Here was a priory, at first a cell to the abbey of Preaux, in Normandy, but afterwards considered part of the cell of Monks' Toft, in Norfolk, belonging to the same house. In the neighbourhood are the remains of an ancient encampment called Spetisbury Rings, in which coins and other relics have been found.