Puncknowle (St. Mary)
PUNCKNOWLE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Bridport, hundred of Uggscombe, Dorchester division of Dorset, 5½ miles (S. E. by E.) from Bridport; containing 425 inhabitants. This parish, which is watered by the river Bride, and bounded on the south by the English Channel, comprises by computation 1800 acres. Here are several quarries of limestone, which is used for burning into lime, and for mending roads; and some of the females are employed in making fishingnets. Bexington, in the parish, was, with its church, burnt by the French, in 1470: they carried away the inhabitants, whom they forced to redeem themselves; and the vill, of which, and of the church, there are but slight remains, has since been a farm. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14, and in the gift of the family of Frome; the tithes have been commuted for £300, and there is a glebe of 40 acres, with a house. The church is a small low fabric, standing in the centre of the parish. There are some remains of encampments, supposed to be Roman; and in 1791, about 1200 ancient coins were turned up by the plough.