Pimperne (St. Peter)
PIMPERNE (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Blandford, hundred of Pimperne, Blandford division of Dorset, 2½ miles (N. E.) from Blandford; containing 545 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 2. 6.; net income, £548; patron, Lord Portman. The church has several Norman portions, including an enriched doorway, and an arch between the nave and chancel; the font is very ancient, and in the churchyard are some coffin-shaped stones, each having a cross carved on it. Some irregular earthworks here once formed part of a maze, which covered about an acre of ground, but was in 1730 almost obliterated by the plough.