Pentridge (St. Rumbold)
PENTRIDGE (St. Rumbold), a parish, in the union of Wimborne and Cranborne, hundred of Cranborne, Wimborne division of Dorset, 3½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Cranborne; containing, with the hamlet of East Woodyates, 244 inhabitants. The parish is situated in the north-eastern extremity of the county, upon the borders of Wiltshire, and on the road from Blandford to Salisbury. It comprises an area of 1764 acres, of which 248 are common or waste land. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 15. 10., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £205, and the glebe comprises 49 acres. On Penbury Hill, which commands an extensive prospect, was formerly a beacon.