Okeford-Fitzpaine (St. Andrew)
OKEFORD-FITZPAINE (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Sturminster, hundred of Sturminster-Newton-Castle, Sturminster division of Dorset, 7½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Blandford; containing 675 inhabitants. This place was anciently possessed by the family of Nichole, one of whom obtained the privilege of a market to be held here, and from whom the estate came to the Fitz-Paynes. The parish comprises 2569 acres, of which 289 are common or waste land. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £21. 12. 8½., and in the gift of Lord Rivers: the tithes have been commuted for £490; the glebe comprises 74 acres. Several British silver coins were found in 1753; and in the neighbourhood is Banbury Hill, a circular camp with a single trench.