Okeford, Child (St. Nicholas)
OKEFORD, CHILD (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Sturminster, hundred of Redlane, Sturminster division of Dorset, 6 miles (N. W. by N.) from Blandford; containing 648 inhabitants. The parish is skirted on the south-west by the river Stour and the road from Blandford to Sturminster, and comprises by admeasurement 1752 acres, about one-third of which is arable, and the rest pasture, with the exception of a few acres of wood. The surface is diversified with hills and vales, with a pleasing intermixture of foliage; the soil in the hilly parts is chalk, and in the lower grounds clay and gravel. The living consists of two rectories, Superior and Inferior, the former valued in the king's books at £6. 13. 4., and the latter at £7; patron and incumbent, the Rev. C. E. North. The tithes have been commuted for £250, and there is a glebe-house, with 71 acres of land. The church contains portions of different styles; the chancel was rebuilt about the year 1815, and at the enlargement of the building in 1835 a north aisle was added. On Hambledon Hill are traces of an intrenchment, in which Roman coins have been found.