Moorwinstow (St. Morvenna)
MOORWINSTOW (St. Morvenna), a parish, in the union and hundred of Stratton, E. division of Cornwall, 7¼ miles (S. E. by S.) from Stratton; containing 1050 inhabitants. This parish comprises 7300 acres, of which 730 are common or waste; it is situated at the northern extremity of the county, and is bounded on the west by the Bristol Channel, and on the east by the river Tamar, which, with the Torridge, has its source here. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £13. 10. 10.; patron, the Bishop of Exeter; impropriator, D. Yonge, Esq. The great tithes have been commuted for £390, and the vicarial for £365; there is a glebe of 70 acres. The church is an interesting structure chiefly in the Norman style, abounding with curious and elegant details; the south porch is a highly-enriched specimen of Norman architecture. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Richard Stanbury, Bishop of Hereford, who died in 1471, and Sir William Adams, an eminent oculist, were natives of Stanbury, in the parish.