MIDDLESMOOR, a chapelry, in the parish of Kirkby-Malzeard, union of Pateley-Bridge, Lower division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding of York, 15 miles (W. by N.) from Ripon; containing 1237 inhabitants. The chapelry consists of the townships of Fountains-Earth, Upper Stonebeck, and Down Stonebeck; and extends over a district about twelve miles in length, and computed at 35,705 acres. The hamlet of Middlesmoor is situated upon an eminence; and from the chapelyard is a delightful view of Nidderdale. The surrounding hills are of considerable magnitude and height; the vale is well wooded; the water-springs, which are numerous on the hills, are soft in their quality, and the air is remarkably salubrious and pure. In the different townships are quarries of stone and slate. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Kirkby-Malzeard, with a net income of £134: the chapel was consecrated in 1484.